Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Beef Summer Sausage

Many months ago, I got a great recipe for homemade summer sausage.  But it did contain nitrates in the form of a meat tenderizer.  *Blech*

So, I said to myself, "Self, what did they use many moons ago before some evil scientist concocted nitrates?"

And you know what?  The answer is...salt.  Use a good quality sea salt, good quality grass-fed ground beef and you'll have a great summer sausage.

And if you like pepperoni, I've got a recipe for you!

Beef Summer Sausage
  • 5 lbs. grass-fed beef, ground
  • 5 heaping t sea salt
  • 2-1/2 heaping t mustard seed
  • 1 t black pepper
  • 2 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t cayenne pepper
  1. DAY 1:  Mix ingredients together well.  Knead and place in a sealed container.  Refrigerate.
  2. DAY 2:  Knead meat mixture.  Place back in covered container and refrigerate.
  3. DAY 3:  Form meat into 5-1 lb. rolls.  You'll want to make sure that the rolls are firmly packed so the finished product holds its shape and doesn't crumble.  I personally haven't had that problem, but I have heard from others that that has been an issue.  (I made these into 1/2 lb. rolls and baked them with my homemade beef pepperoni, too. )  
  4. Place rolls on a wire rack on a jelly roll pan.  Bake @ 200 degrees for 8 hours, turning rolls 1/4 turn every 2 hours.
  5. Allow to cool.  Wrap and store in refrigerator.  Keeps well in freezer, too.
Note:  For food safety reasons, you will want to make sure your summer sausage has reached an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees.

Another note:  If you think 5 pounds is a lot of summer sausage, as I did, you might want to think again.  My family loves this sausage with apples and cheese for lunch, diced in scrambled eggs, etc., etc.  I can't keep this in the fridge/freezer long at all.

Thanks, Kristie, for urging me to post this recipe.  You are the best!


5 comments:

  1. this is so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two questions. How much mustard seed and do you really cook it for eight hours at 200? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about the type-o! It is 2-1/2 teaspoons. Thanks for catching that for me!

      Delete
  3. Great recipe! About how long do you think it keeps in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. A roll never lasts more than a few days in our house and I store the rest in the freezer.

      Delete