We love this pepperoni on our homemade pizza. So simple and sooooo good. And NO NITRATES or NITRITES, etc. Gotta love that.
Oh, and if you like summer sausage, you'll love this recipe, too!
Spicy Beef Pepperoni
- 2 pounds ground beef (preferably pasture-fed)
- 2 t. liquid smoke
- 2 t black pepper
- 2 t mustard seed
- 1-1/2 t crushed fennel seed
- 1-1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 t smoked paprika (regular is fine)
- 1/2 t powdered turbinado (or sugar)
- 2 heaping t salt
- DAY 1: Mix ingredients together well. Knead and place in a sealed container. Refrigerate.
- DAY 2: Knead meat mixture. Place back in covered container and refrigerate.
- DAY 3: Form meat into 1 lb. rolls. You'll want to make sure that the rolls are firmly packed so the finished product holds its shape and doesn't crumble. I personally haven't had that problem, but I have heard from others that that has been an issue.
- Place rolls on a wire rack on a jelly roll pan. Bake @ 200 degrees for 8 hours, turning rolls 1/4 turn every 2 hours.
- Allow to cool. Wrap and store in refrigerator. Keeps well in freezer, too.