After we had them, something happened.
Without getting graphic, I noticed that they kind of worked like a laxative...
So I decided to do a little research. This is what I found out about BEETS. They:
- Strengthen the heart.
- Calm the mind and spirit.
- Improve circulation of the blood. Nourish the blood.
- Benefit the liver. Treat liver Qi Stagnation and treats liver disease like cirrhosis.
- Moisten the intestines. Promotes Bowel Movement. (Yup) Relieves Constipation due to Large Intestine dryness.
- Promote menstruation.
- Beets are very alkalizing to the whole body...which is a very beneficial property in light of the Standard American Diet's over emphasis on Acidifying foods. This is a food that greatly helps change your body from being too acid to a more healthy alkaline state.
- Beets are loaded with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C.
- The greens have a higher content of iron compared to spinach.
- They are also an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, sodium and iron.
- Beets are also a terrific source of choline, folic acid, iodine, manganese, organic sodium, potassium, fiber and carbohydrates in the form of natural easily digestible sugars.
Beet Nutrition - Modern Known Healing Properties:Acidosis: Due to the beets high alkalinity, beets can be essential and are highly effective in combating acidosis.
Anemia: The high content of iron in beets regenerates and reactivates the red blood cells and supplies fresh oxygen to the body. The copper content in beets help make the iron more available to the body. A great blood builder.
Atherosclerosis: Beet juice is a powerful solvent for inorganic calcium deposits that cause the arteries to harden. Beets actually help the arteries remain soft and flexible.
Blood pressure normalization: Its healing and medicinal values effectively normalizes blood pressure, lowering high blood pressure or elevating low blood pressure. Yes, you read that right. If you have high blood pressure it will lower it. But if you have low blood pressure it will raise it appropriately.
Blood Purification and building: Beets and their greens are very powerful cleansers and builders of the blood.
Cancer: Betaine, an amino acid in beets, has significant anti-cancer properties. Studies show that beet juice inhibits formation of cancer-causing compounds and is protective against colon or stomach cancer.
Constipation: The cellulose content helps to ease bowel movements. Drinking beet juice regularly will help relieve chronic constipation.
Detoxification: The choline from beets detoxifies not only the liver, but also the entire system of excessive alcohol intake.
Gastric ulcer: Mix honey with beet juice and drink two or three times a week on an empty stomach (more frequently if your body handles beet juice well).
Gall bladder and kidney ailments: Coupled with carrot juice, the superb cleansing virtues are exceptional for curing ailments relating to these two organs.
Gout: Can be greatly helped by the cleansing effects that beets have to offer.
Liver or bile: The cleansing virtues in beet juice is very healing for liver toxicity or bile ailments, like jaundice, hepatitis.
Food poisoning: Beets also work wonders for food poisoning.
Diarrhea: Stops diarrhea in many cases...A squeeze of lime with beet juice increases the effectiveness in treating diarrhea.
Varicose veins: This is similar to the way that it helps to keep the arteries soft and elastic. Regular consumption of beet juice also helps heal and prevent varicose veins.
(This information is readily available, but this is specifically from http://www.holistic-medicine-works.com/beet-nutrition.html. I am not a doctor and by sharing this information am not trying to practice medicine.)
Okay, so without going crazy, I think adding beets into our diet on a regular basis is a good thing. And they're gonna like it, doggone it.
Do you have a favorite way to eat beets? Please, please, please share!