Mexican shredded beef has so many uses. Just substitute where ever you would use ground beef taco meat for a meal that seems just a little more special.
Crockpot Shredded Mexican Beef
- 1 beef roast (3-5 pounds) - preferably grass-fed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 C beef broth
- 1/2 t parsley
- 2 t chili powder
- 1-1/2 t cumin
- 1/2 t cayenne (or more depending on how hot you like it)
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/2 t smoked or regular paprika
- Over medium flame, heat lard or bacon grease in large skillet. Add frozen (or not) roast. Sear roast, in covered skillet, on all sides until nice and brown.
- Place roast in crockpot.
- Pour off grease that is left in skillet, leaving a small amount for sauteing the onions and garlic.
- Saute onions in skillet 3-5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add minced garlic and saute for additional 2-3 minutes. Add broth and spices. Stir to deglaze pan. Pour mixture over roast.
- Cook in crockpot 6-7 hours on HIGH or 10 hours on LOW, until roast is falling apart.
- Remove roast from crockpot. Allow to cool enough to shred. Try not to eat too much of this before dinner.
- Add shredded beef back in with juices.
- Use for whichever dish you choose.
- Leftover meat freezes well.