Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 1 C Vodka, rum or Bourbon (cheap stuff works just fine)
- 3 vanilla beans
- Slit the vanilla beans lengthwise. Cut them in half or in quarters (I did this so they’d fit in the jar). Add them to the mason jar.
- Add the vodka or rum to the jar. Cover with a lid and shake.
- Stick the jar in a cupboard for at least 8 weeks.
- Strain off vanilla beans and bottle. Or, you can leave them in the bottle and just add top off your extract with a little more vodka as you use the extract.