Flourless Chocolate Cake
Makes 1 -10 inch round cake
- ½ C strong coffee, orange juice, or water
- ¼ t sea salt
- ¾ C turbinado
- 18 oz. dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- 1 C unsalted butter
- 3 whole eggs + 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter a 10" round cake or springform pan. Cut circle of parchment paper for bottom of pan. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the coffee, salt and turbinado. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- In the top half of a double boiler melt the bittersweet chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, 1 piece at a time. Beat in the hot coffee/turbinado. Slowly beat in the eggs and egg whites, about one at a time.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. (If using a springform pan, use a large piece of foil, wrap foil around the bottom of the springform pan.)
- Have a pan larger than the cake pan ready. Put the cake pan in the larger pan. Fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake cake in the water bath at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. The center will still look wet.
- Chill cake overnight in the pan.
- To unmold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a serving plate.