Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Springtime...When a Homeschool Mom's Thoughts Turn to Curriculum

(So sorry this pic is a bit to big for my page but it was too cute..and too right on the money...not to share!)

When we made the choice to homeschool our children, I was still a work-at-home mom.  I had a business that required my attention almost full-time and I did not have the luxury of time to check in to different curriculum and explore what was available out there.

For the coming school year, that is exactly what I've been doing...

And boy, is there a lot out there.

Now, you may be asking, "Why are you looking into school books now?  It's only April and school doesn't start for another five months?"

That's true.  But when it comes to school, I don't like to be a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda gal.  I like having the chance to read through my little pupil's books so I can have a little head start on them. 

In the past, I was very happy and content ordering books all from one publisher.  My daughter is just like I was.  She loves school, is a high achiever and a self-starter.  For my daughter, it works just fine to do it that way.  For my son?  Not so much.  Reading and workbooks aren't his thing at the moment...and they may never be. 

The other thing?  Having more than one child, I've questioned why I need to have two different text books for subjects like Bible, History and Science.  Why can't we do those subjects together?

So that got me to thinking outside the box and on my own research expedition...

Over the next couple of days I'm going to share what we did in the past and some new things I found for the coming school year.  Feel free to pass these posts on to anyone you think might benefit!

No comments:

Post a Comment