When I first started homeschooling, I used a full "boxed" curriculum...and was very happy with it except for one thing. I wasn't really crazy in love with their Bible texts. Although in later years I found that this curriculum did use a Bible in the study, I personally found it to be a bit *ahem* ... dry. In addition, Bible is one of those subjects that I question why it can't be taught as a group? Well it can, but I'm not creative enough to design my own Bible curriculum! (Whine!)
In my research I found Foundations Press. Some highlights:
- This curriculum studies the Bible, using the Bible.
- It is designed for students of all ages and can easily be taught in a group setting.
- A memory verse is included each week with suggestions how to teach memorization
- Your children learn through drawing, writing, reading, and discussing. I love the idea of the "speed drills" where you call out a scripture passage and the kids race to see who can find it in their bible first.
- There are three books available, using one book each year. After finishing book 3, you can start over with book number 1.
- Supplemental worksheets are available through Calvary Curriculum. These worksheets are FREE and you have several choices each week that can enhance learning for varying ages.
- The Price is Right! Only $14.95 for the e-book version ($19.95 for a printed one), you can't beat that. Also, sign up to receive their newsletter/blog by email and you get a 25% discount on your order. That made my e-book just a hair over 11 bucks.
Anywho, I am super excited to teach Bible this year not only for my two kiddos, but for me as well. And that is something that I love about homeschooling...I get to learn right alongside my kids.