Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Seed Ordering Time

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Yup, it's that time of the year.  It's seed orderin' time...

(I am so sorry...I keep thinking of Idgie Threadgoode of "Fried Green Tomatoes" fame saying it was hog boilin' time.  I'm glad I'm orderin' seeds and not boilin' hogs, thank you very much.)

Last year I shared with you that I ordered my seeds from the wonderful folks at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  And this year I decided to go back.


There are several wonderful seed companies out there that offer organic seeds.  And when my daughter asked me this morning why I ordered from Baker Creek, I had to stop and think about it a sec.

The reason I had to think about it was because of the way I feel about the company.  They are good people doing good things.  It's a family business that supports families.  I especially can relate to that because we have a family business that supports our family.

So, if you are more of a "black and white person" vs. a "gray" person, you might appreciate these reasons more:
  • They gave me great service last year.
  • I had good results with the seeds.
  • The seeds are organic.
  • The seeds are certified non-GMO.
  • They support non-GMO legislation and are active in educating the public.
Okay.  So there you have it.  But no matter what you decide to do, may I encourage you to order not only organic seeds, but non-GMO/non-hybrid seeds as well?

7 comments:

  1. I support Baker Creek seeds as well. It's nice to find I am in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy from Baker Creek for the very same reasons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND their customer service reps are so wonderful, they back their product and are very honest! so many reasons to order from them, i can not see anyone knowing about them and NOT ordering from them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! This is my second year ordering from them as well. I just ordered my seeds yesterday and can't wait to get started starting me seeds indoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Last year I think I started my seeds a little later than I should have so I'm not going to make the same mistake twice!

      Delete
  5. This was my first time ordering from Baker. It arrived in less than a week and had a free gift of green fleshed pineapple melon seeds. What a beautiful looking Lagniappe. Next year if I can expand my garden I'd love to try more of Baker's unusual vegetables. This year I'm hoping to save my seeds which I've never done before. Lynette have y'all had success with saving seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing I've tried so far are pumpkin sunflower seeds, and both were successful. My goal this year *gulp* is to save seeds from everything I grow. I really want to learn this art! Best to you, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete