Friday, May 25, 2012

Best Homemade Deodorant!

I was just reading on Dr. Mercola's site an alarming study finding that parabens and aluminum chloride, both found in antiperspirants, can raise your chance of breast cancer.  Not something new to many of us, but I figured it was high time I shared with you something you might be able to use.

First of all, let me say this.  Prior to using this deodorant recipe, I had tried a few other things to get away from the antiperspirant habit.  You see, I'm kinda ...particular... about this kind of stuff.  I'm highly sensitive to smells (particularly if it's emanating from me) and I would not be able to tolerate a me that wasn't, you know, up to par.


I started my antiperspirant-free campaign now several years ago, using the natural deodorant from Tom's of Maine.  Why am I no longer using it?  Well, first of all, it doesn't work.  Or at least for me.  I was always self-conscious because I could smell something amiss.  (As a matter of fact, when I was going to work or knew we were going somewhere and I would be around other people, I would begrudgingly apply my antiperspirant... grumbling as I did so...)  Also, the product from Tom's is pricey and has propylene glycol in it.  Two more strikes against that bad boy. 

I've also tried a couple of other homemade options, but they just didn't work, were too messy, or were just too weird.  (I don't know about you, but spraying rubbing alcohol on my underarms a couple times a day just makes go cringe!  I can't even imagine using that after shaving!!!)

So, what's a girl to do when she doesn't want to smell like a farm animal?

Well, I've been using this homemade deodorant for a few months now and I really LOVE it!  It is really inexpensive to make, it lasts doggone forever, and the most important part?  It.  Really.  Works.

Best Homemade Deodorant
  • 1/3 C extra virgin coconut oil
  • 3/4 C baking soda
  • 4 drops tea tree oil
  • 12 drops essential oil of choice (I recommend lavender, eucalyptus, lemongrass, tangerine, cedarwood or cinnamon oils)
  1. If coconut oil is solid, melt it on very low heat.  
  2. Mix in baking soda.  
  3. Add tea tree oil and other essential oil of choice.  Mix well.  
  4. Pour into a glass jar and place a lid on it for storage, or clean out an old deodorant container and pour your mixture into that.  
  5. If using jar, apply deodorant with fingertips.
Note #1:  Because coconut oil has a relatively low melt-point, you might consider storing your deodorant (if you are re-purposing a previous deodorant container) in the fridge so it stays solid, unless your house is cooler than 74ยบ.

Note #2:  The original recipe calls for only 1/4 C coconut oil. I found this to be a little too drying on my sensitive little pits and found that by adding a little more seemed to help with that issue.

Thanks to Katie at riddlelove for the basis for this great recipe!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe, Lynette. I haven't been happy with the different homemade ones I've tried. I just bought another Toms on sale and I think they are doing something different than when they first came out with their product (back in the old days of hippies!).

    blessings,

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like this one Jill. The tea tree oil is the key I think!

      Delete