Thursday, May 31, 2012

Separated or Curdled Homemade Mayonnaise?

I know.  I should have taken a picture.  But I was in denial.

Last week, I made Caesar dressing with my homemade mayo.  And it curdled.  Separated.  Looked gross.  Probably tasted fine, but I couldn't get past the way it looked.

Well, I just so happen to have in my possession Julia Child's Volume One:  Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  And lo and behold... Mrs. Child discusses curdled homemade mayonnaise, and more importantly, a precaution to keep your beautiful mayo the way it should be.


Just a quick note:  Do this with every batch of mayonnaise you make.  That way you never have an unexpected and unwelcome surprise.
Drum roll please!

While stirring, add 2 tablespoons boiling water to your finished mayonnaise.

That's it.

And it works.

No flowers, please.  Gifts of money would be greatly appreciated, though.

This recipe shared on Real Food Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment