This year we picked 43 pounds of berries. What does one do with that many strawberries? Well, this is what we did:
- Freeze them. Well, we love kefir smoothies; mock frozen yogurt; strawberries on pound cake, angel food, ice cream..you get the picture. I freeze the berries whole (after they have been hulled) so I can choose just one berry or a bunch of them. Of the berries we picked, I ended up with 6 gallon freezer bags full.
- Make jam. I didn't make any jam last year so we were totally out. I decided to try a different pectin (more about that later) so I could use a natural sweetener. I used 12 C of crushed strawberries and got approximately that amount of finished jam.
- Make syrup. I took 6 C of crushed berries to make strawberry syrup for pancakes, waffles, ice cream, etc. Because I made it, I got to be in charge of the type and amount of sweetener. I'll share just how easy it is this week.
- Make fruit leather. Although I didn't make any of that yet, I may at a later time using some of the berries I froze.
- Don't forget to eat some! We enjoyed fresh strawberries with cream for dessert one night, but mostly we just enjoyed them au naturel. Can't beat that!