You can use this recipe with either a pre-cooked ham or one that is not. The hams we usually use are just cured and need to be cooked. That can make a difference in the time it takes for your ham to be finished.
Either way, I like to use my crock pot for this little venture but you certainly could pop this little cutie right into the oven at a lower temp, say around 325 degrees. Although I've never done this before, one thing I would be concerned about is having the sugars in the honey and syrup harden in the bottom of the pan. Thus, I like to stick with the crock pot...
One last thing. Don't even think about using anything other than pure maple syrup. Just a friendly warning.
Honey Maple Glazed Ham & Carrots
- 7-10 carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 C honey
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 1/4 C whole cloves OR 1/2 t ground cloves
- Cured, pre-cooked and/or pre-sliced ham (preferably pasture raised) up to about 8 pounds
- Place carrots in bottom of crock pot.
- Score ham on all sides.
- If using whole cloves, stud ham with cloves.
- Melt butter. Add honey and syrup. If using ground cloves instead of whole, add them now.
- Place ham on top of carrots in crock pot.
- Pour honey maple glaze on top of ham.
- Cover. Cook on HIGH 5-6 hours or LOW 8-10 hours for uncooked ham, basting often. About half way through cooking, flip ham over.