Recipe courtesy of Greg Starup (options ala Lynette)
- 4 T butter
- 1 lb. diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 C. chicken broth
- 2 lbs. diced tomatoes (or 1 qt. jar or 2 cans diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 lb. diced mild green chilies
- Tabasco to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Optional: 1 lb. ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
- Optional: 1 qt. jar or 2 cans pinto, black or Great Northern beans
- Optional:1 C corn
- Optional: Sour cream to garnish
- Optional: Chopped chives to garnish
- Optional: Sliced avocado to garnish
- Saute onion in melted butter until almost translucent. Add minced garlic and saute.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes or transfer to crock pot on LOW.
- To serve, place tortilla chips in bowl, then soup. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado and/or chives.