Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dirty Boots

Photo credit
The other day, my daughter was sweeping the kitchen floor.  My hubby had tracked in some clods of dirt that had been on his work boots.  Not happy about the extra dirt, she expressed her displeasure.

This reminded me of a story I read in the Reader's Digest years ago, which I shared with her.

There was a woman who had been mopping her kitchen floor when a friend dropped by.  Having not seen her friend for a long time, she invited her to stay for a cup of coffee and a chat. 

As the women sat at the kitchen table catching up, the woman's husband came in from the field where he had been working.  His boots were dirty and left behind muddy footprints on the clean floor.

When he had left the room, the friend expressed her sympathy.  "My goodness.  On your clean floor.  Men!"

The man's wife looked at her friend, smiled and said, "It's those boots that carry him as he works hard for our family and those boots that carry him safely back home to me."

After telling my daughter that story, she smiled and said, "I get it, Mom."

No comments:

Post a Comment