Purée of Carrot Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T butter
- 1 t thyme
- 2 lbs. carrots, sliced
- ½ lb. potatoes, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 C chicken broth
- pepper, freshly ground
- butter or cream
- chives or finely chopped green onions
- In a large kettle, saute onion and garlic in butter until soft. Stir in thyme. Mix in carrots, potatoes, and bay leaf.
- Add enough chicken stock to cover vegetables.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When carrots and potatoes and tender, remove bay leaf and puree soup in blender.
- Serve with a drizzle of cream or a small dollop of butter, freshly ground pepper, and a sprinkling of chives.