When we ordered our beef this year from a local farmer, we ended up with more roasts from the butcher than we had really wanted. Although a couple of our favorite uses for beef roast are Crockpot Shredded Mexican Beef and Simple Braised Beef Pot Roast, this recipe is a contender!
This recipe freezes well and is great to have on hand to serve over noodles, over toasted hard rolls, or even as a quick filling for omelets (with a little sour cream and grated cheddar!...Yum!).
Sweet & Savory Pulled Beef
- 1 t salt
- 1 t ground mustard
- 1 t BBQ pork rub
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t chili powder
- ½ t pepper
- 1 beef roast (about 3 lbs.)
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, halve and sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, sliced
- ½ quart jar or 1-8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/3 C grade B maple syrup
- 3 T honey
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 t balsamic vinegar
- ¾ t salt
- Combine the first six ingredients. Cut roast in half; rub with seasonings. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil on all sides. Transfer to crock pot. Top with onion and red pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, syrup, honey, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, coconut aminos, garlic, vinegar and salt. Pour over vegetables.
- Cover crock pot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly.
- Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables and 1-1/4 cups juices. Skim fat from reserved juices.
- Shred beef with two forks and return to slow cooker. Stir in reserved vegetables and cooking juices; heat through. Serve on top of toasted buns (well drained) or with whole wheat or rice noodles.