Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

Chocolate syrup.  I have a love/hate relationship with this stuff.  It tastes so good, but I know the chocolate syrup you buy at the store has high fructose corn (HFC) syrup in it plus a myriad of other such ingredients, I'm sure.  (If you ever want to watch an interesting little documentary on corn, I'd highly recommend "King Corn".  Here's a link to watch it via HULU.)

My kids LOVE vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup on it.  Who doesn't?!  But I do feel better when I know what's in what they are eating...control freak that I am.

While the Hershey's website does not give ingredient lists for their products, I'm going to share with you the list how to make your own at home with just five (5) simple ingredients.  No high fructose corn syrup required.

By the way, my hubby had nothing but good things to say about this chocolate syrup.  He thought it was richer and more chocolatey than the store bought stuff.  Be sure to let me know if you agree with him on this one!

Chocolate Syrup
  • 1 C turbinado or white sugar
  • 1/2 C cocoa
  • 1 C filtered water
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • pinch sea salt
  1. Combine turbinado, cocoa and water in a large kettle. 
  2. Heat over medium heat until boiling, stirring regularly.  (Be sure to keep your eye on the chocolate mixture because it can easily boil over if you aren't watching it.)
  3. Once it begins to boil, turn heat down to medium-low and continue cooking for about 7-10 minutes until it has thickened.  (The mixture will thicken a little more as it cools.)
  4. Take chocolate mixture off heat.  Stir in vanilla and salt.
  5. Store in a small glass jar in the refrigerator.  Don't know how long it will last in the fridge because ours in normally gone within a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment