I've been making this pasta dish for quite a few years and although it has taken a real-food turn recently, we still absolutely love it.
Served with a perfectly grilled steak, pan-fried pork chops, or just about anything else, it's great for a dinner with the family or special enough for company.
Creamy Pasta & Broccoli
- 3 ounces whole wheat or rice linguine or fettuccine
- 1-1/2 C fresh broccoli flowerets
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 3/4 C milk
- 2 t arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 t organic chicken base
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 T dry white wine
- 1/2 C shredded mozzarella
- Cook pasta. Add broccoli during last 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, over medium-low flame saute onions in olive oil until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, arrowroot, chicken base, pepper and nutmeg. Add to onion in skillet. Cook and stir over medium flame until thick and bubbly. Stir in wine and cheese until cheese has melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over pasta and broccoli; toss to coat.