Tuesday, June 12, 2012

UPDATE: Soaked Whole Wheat Pancakes & Waffles

We normally have pancakes and/or waffles once a week.  They are a great breakfast for the weekend when we have a little more time to enjoy them and each other.  And when your whole wheat flour is soaked in an acidic medium like kefir or buttermilk, your breakfast is more nourishing and satisfying, too.

A few weeks ago, I was looking through my copy of Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and decided to try her recipe for pancakes.  The recipe is extremely simple.  Although it has no sweetener, we found that we did not miss it at all.  It's amazing how maple syrup and/or a berry compote can do that, you know?


Trying to keep it simple for myself, I decided that I would try the same recipe with my normal amount of melted coconut oil for waffles.  They not only turned out great, I haven't made my "old" recipe since we tried it.


Soaked Whole Wheat Pancakes & Waffles
  • 2 C freshly ground whole wheat flour
  • 2 C kefir or buttermilk
  • Melted coconut oil or butter: 1/4 C for pancakes;  1/2 C for waffles
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • generous sprinkling of cinnamon
  1. Soak flour and kefir or buttermilk overnight or up to 24 hours.
  2. Add other ingredients, stirring until just incorporated.
  3. Fry as pancakes on a cast iron griddle or ladle batter into waffle maker.
  4. Enjoy with lots of butter, pure Grade B maple syrup, fresh berries, or whatever tickles your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment