(Mousse au Chocolat)
- 4 oz good quality dark chocolate (80% cacao or higher)
- 2 T ground turbinado, divided
- 4 egg yolks from pastured chickens
- Your choice of 1/4 C +/- cold coffee, liquor, brandy, rum or water
- 4 egg whites from pastured chickens
- pinch salt
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Grind turbinado in blender or food processor until powdery.
- Melt chocolate over simmering water in a double boiler.
- Remove chocolate from heat. Add 1 T ground turbinado; stir. Stirring with a whisk, incorporate egg yolks one at a time. Add your choice of liquid, about 1 T at a time, until chocolate is the consistency of a thin mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites with salt until frothy. Continue to beat until they start to hold their shape. Whip in the remaining 1T of turbinado and continue to beat until thick and shiny, but not completely stiff; then the vanilla.
- Fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remainder of the whites just until incorporated, but don’t overdo it or the mousse will lose volume.
- Transfer the mousse to a serving bowl or divide into serving dishes, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, until firm.
UPDATE: Here is another version with a few changes and more directions! Julia Child-Inspired Chocolate Mousse