My friend, Koe, told me that she makes beans like this all the time. She is a homeschooling mother to eight hungry kiddos (6 of them boys) and this is her go-to dinner. Served with rice and you've got a complete source of protein and an inexpensive meal.
And here's a little extra tip: You can add in a bunch of veggies, and if you've got picky eaters, they'll never know. What a great way to clean out the vegetable drawer in your fridge!
Can't get much easier than this.
No-Soak Crockpot Beans
- Dried beans
- Optional veggies: Sauteed onions, carrots, celery, peppers, zucchini, kale...you get the idea.
- Seasonings: Cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic...whatever you like.
- Rinse and sort dried beans. Place in crock pot.
- Add twice as much water as beans.
- Add any sauteed vegetables and seasonings. Hold off on the salt until beans are done. Salt can inhibit the cooking of the beans and may cause them not to soften.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours. Add more water if necessary so beans don't become dry.