Friday, May 24, 2013

Aha... Owning Your Own Doo-doo

I have been reading "Boundaries" by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend.  I borrowed the book from the library, but I think I'm going to need to get my own copy so I can mark it all up with my trusty yellow highlighter.

Anyway, I had an absolutely "Aha" moment this morning.  I don't know if you will benefit from this tidbit or not, but just in case, I have to share it.

Page 90: Item 6 - "You have the power to seek out those you have injured and make amends."  As a friend of mine says, "Own your own doo-doo."  If you made the mess, you get to clean it up.  It is your responsibility to contact the person you wronged, name the offense and ask for forgiveness.

Sometimes, others don't want to "own their own doo-doo".  And guess what?  It is NOT your responsibility to seek out those who have injured you or think you are upset with them because they did something wrong.  That is THEIR responsibility.  Wow.  I don't know about you, but I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Yep.  With a dog, chickens, and my own short-comings, I have enough doo-doo to take care of without having to feel responsible for other's, too, thankyouverymuch.

Oh, and I need to pick up another yellow highlighter, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment