Also, to save time, you can blanch and drain your spinach a few hours prior to finishing it. That makes it a great addition when serving a multi-course meal as it doesn't take but a few quick minutes to finish it.
Creamed Spinach ~ Serves 4
(Heavily influenced by Emerill)
- 1 pound fresh organic spinach, washed and stems removed
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 C chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 C finely chopped shallots or onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper
- 1/8 t nutmeg
- 1/4 - 1/3 C heavy cream (preferably raw)
- Blanch spinach in a pot of salted boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain. Squeeze out as much remaining water as possible.
- If leaves are large, chop finely. If leaves are small, just leave them as is. (At this point, you can refrigerate the cooked spinach until ready to finish.)
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet. Add mushrooms and saute over medium heat about 2 minutes. Add shallots (or onions) and garlic and saute over medium heat an additional 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook until the cream is reduced by half, about 2 minutes.