Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Scott's BBQ or Baked Salmon

Fresh Copper River Salmon is available in my neck of the woods, and on sale to boot.  So last Friday I ran on down to see my favorite fishmonger, Shayla, and we picked up a couple of beautiful, deep orangey-red filets.

The first time I had salmon cooked this way was over 20 years ago at a 4th of July barbeque.  It was the best salmon I had ever had.  And the cook, Scott, was nice enough to share his secrets with me.  But it's okay that I share them with you because Scott doesn't read my blog!

No matter what kind of wild salmon is available or if we are going to barbeque or just bake it in the oven, this is my go-to recipe.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.


Scott's BBQ or Baked Salmon
(serves 4)
  • 1 lb. Fresh wild salmon (any variety)
  • Sea salt & coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 T cold butter
  • 1 small lemon, sliced
  • 1/4 yellow onion, sliced
  1. Rinse filet and pat dry.
  2. If baking, drizzle a small amount of olive oil on the bottom of a 9x13" pan.  If barbequing, take a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap up the entire filet and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil.
  3. Place filet in pan or on foil, skin side down.
  4. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
  5. With fingers, pull off small pieces of butter and place on filet.
  6. Next, put lemon slices and then onion slices on top.
  7. Bake in the oven uncovered at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or wrap filet up into foil packet and place on a medium-hot BBQ for about 10 minutes, turning once after 5 minutes.
We prefer our salmon cooked to when you insert a fork and twist, the fish flakes, although some prefer their salmon a little less "done".

No comments:

Post a Comment