So, I hope you'll try one, or both! But maybe not on the same day.
Julia Child-Inspired Chocolate Mousse
- 4 egg yolks from pastured chickens, room temperature
- 1/4 C strong coffee
- 1/4 C turbinado
- 6 oz. good quality chocolate (my personal favorite: Green & Black Organic Dark Chocolate 85% Cocoa)
- 1/4 C strong coffee, rum, orange juice, Grand Marnier or other liquid
- 4 T soft butter
- 4 egg whites from pastured chickens, room temperature
- pinch sea salt
- scant 1/4 t cream of tartar
- Optional: Whipped cream to top
- Compile all your ingredients and place on counter.
- Using two saucepans, one medium saucepan and one large, fill each about 1/3 with water. Bring to a simmer. (The large one you'll be using for the egg yolk mixture, the medium sized one to melt the chocolate.)
- Dissolve turbinado in hot coffee. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, beat egg yolks with wire whip until frothy and lemon yellow in color. Set aside.
- Take medium saucepan off heat. Place chocolate in a mixing bowl that can fit inside the medium saucepan. Pour 1/4 C coffee, rum, or other liquid over. Place mixing bowl in medium saucepan. Cover with lid and allow chocolate to melt.
- Meanwhile, add about 1 T sweetened coffee to egg yolks while stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Continue to add small amounts of hot coffee while stirring, being careful not to add too much coffee at a time and scramble your yolks.
- Now, place saucepan containing yolk mixture into largest saucepan of hot (not simmering or boiling!) water and whisk for 5-8 minutes or until yolks have thickened. Pour the thickened yolks into a mixing bowl and whisk with electric mixer until mixture has cooled and forms a ribbon as it falls from a spoon. Set aside.
- Stir melted chocolate so it is smooth. Stir in butter to melt.
- Combine melted chocolate with egg yolk mixture. Set aside.
- In a very clean bowl with very clean beaters, beat egg whites for about 30 seconds. Add salt and cream of tartar. Continue beating until stiff peaks have formed.
- Fold 1/4 egg white mixture into chocolate mixture to lighten. Gently fold remaining egg whites into chocolate, being careful not to deflate.
- Transfer into serving bowl or individual serving dishes or wine goblets. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 3 days before serving.