By the way, this sauce will keep well in the fridge for about a week...if it lasts that long. I will normally make this a day or two beforehand so I have one less thing to make Thanksgiving Day.
Who needs the canned stuff? Not you, smart girl.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 1 C water
- 3/4 C turbinado or sucanat
- 2 C fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- Optional: juice from 1-2 oranges
- Optional: zest from 1 orange
- Bring water and sweetener to a boil.
- Add cranberries, and orange juice and zest if using. Bring back to a boil. Boil 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Take off heat and add vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Leave chunky or *carefully* blend to the consistency of your liking. (The cranberry sauce is hot, so be very careful.)
- Cool before serving.