Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Time to Plan Your Best Year Yet

I hope that you and your family had a wonderful Christmas! 

And after Christmas, it seems that most people's thoughts turn to New Year's resolutions.

I really detest New Year's resolutions.

In the past, I've made lofty goals for myself only to fall flat on my face within a day or two.  Ever happen to you?  Most of those resolutions had to do with my weight and how I was gonna be Barbie-thin...this time.  Yup.  Right.

But I do see the benefit of sitting down and purposefully choosing what I want to focus more of my time and energy on and what I want less of.  After all if you don't identify what's important to you, you are just a victim of  circumstance, so to speak.

A few years ago, my beautiful friend Sandy shared with me a book that has been really helpful in the process of planning.  It's called "Your Best Year Yet" by Jinny S. Ditzler.  Ms. Ditzler takes you through questions to help you determine what is most important to you and how to get more of what you want out of life.

Questions like:
  • How do I limit myself?
  • In what areas of my life am I not achieving what I want?
  • What changes do I need to make in the way I operate?
  • Have I let others support me?...
In all honesty, since I resigned from my position in direct sales where goal-setting is heavily focused on, I really haven't done much planning for my life.  Yes, I do lesson planning for our home school and I do meal plan (well, usually anyway).    I think I just got burned out of doing it and teaching it to others, too.  But I do see where the past couple years have been more reactionary than being proactive, and I really don't like that.

So, this year Tom and I have a "coffee date", where we can sit down without any disturbances or distractions, and do some much needed planning for our business and our life.

I'm looking forward to this being our best year yet.

Do you regularly plan for your life?  If so, what has worked well for you?






No comments:

Post a Comment