By the way, don't add any extra broth or water in your baking dish. The vegetables exude enough. If you are opting out of the veggies, I would add about 1 cup of beef broth, but you would be missing out on some really flavorful veggies.
- Beef roast
- Olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut on the bias in 1” chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 med. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 t thyme
- ¼ C red wine
- Options: 1 celery stalk, chopped or any other root vegetables you'd like to use
- Pat roast dry using a towel. Salt roast.
- Heat 1-2 T olive oil in large skillet over medium flame. When oil is hot, add roast, searing all sides. Remove roast and place into large baking dish.
- Melt 1 T butter in skillet. Add onion and carrots. Sauté 3-5 minutes. Spoon into baking dish containing roast.
- Melt 1 T butter in skillet. Add sweet and baking potato chunks. Sprinkle with thyme and salt. Sauté 3-5 minutes. Add to roast.
- Add wine to skillet and deglaze any remaining roast bits. Pour over roast.
- Cover and place in 275 degree oven until roast is fork-tender, about 3-5 hours depending on roast size.
- When roast is done, remove to cutting board. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Serve with green salad; and top roast and vegetables with pan drippings, sour cream and/or horseradish sauce.