Not only is eating a healthful breakfast important to maintaining a healthy body, but it is also a wonderful way to maintain a "healthy" family. Eating meals together as a family at the table with conversation (and sometimes chaos) is a priority in our house. I can't imagine starting our days any other way!
Baked Soaked Oatmeal
- 2-1/2 C oatmeal (steel-cut or old-fashioned)
- 1 T whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 C buttermilk or yogurt
- 1/2 C coconut oil, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 C sucanat, maple syrup or honey
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 2 t cinnamon
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 C raisins
- 2 C chopped apples (no need to peel, just core and chop) or other fruit
- Optional: 1-2 C chopped nuts
- Soak oats, flour and buttermilk covered on kitchen counter overnight, but 24 hours is better in order to break down more phytic acid.
- Just before baking, beat oil, sugar, and eggs until glossy. Add baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla; beat. Stir in oats, raisins, and chopped apples (or pears). Mix into oat mixture. If mixture seems a little too dry, it's okay to add a little more milk.
- Pour into 9×13 baking dish and bake at 350° for 20-40 minutes, depending on your desired consistency. 30 minutes is perfect for us.
Recipe adapted from Kelly the Kitchen Kop.