Anywho, we still love mac & cheese. Finding a good, real food replacement recipe has been a high priority. I've tried several recipes. Many have been good, but my family really wanted mac & cheese that was creamy. Most baked recipes aren't. They are kinda chunky. We wanted creamy.
I came up with this recipe after seeing someone use arrowroot to thicken milk. I don't remember what the recipe was for, but that's what prompted this one. And I appear to have scored a home run with this baby. Ba-bye Kr**t!
Easy Cheesy Macaroni & Cheese
- 8 oz. organic whole wheat pasta, any shape (my favorite place to get this is Trader Joe's)
- 1 C raw milk
- 1 T arrowroot
- 1-2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- Add pasta to salted, boiling water. Cook until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, mix milk and arrowroot in a separate pan. Stir so milk doesn't scorch. Heat until thickened.
- Add cheese to thickened milk. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain cooked pasta and pour back into pan.
- Pour cheese sauce into pasta and stir.
- Serve immediately.