Saturday, January 7, 2012

DIY Old Bay® Seasoning

Have you ever heard of Old Bay® Seasoning?  I had, but have never had a reason to purchase any prior to yesterday.  It was one of those moments when I had all the ingredients together for the Zucchini Cakes I told you about yesterday...except for one:  Old Bay® Seasoning.

When I visited the Old Bay® website, they claim that their 70-year-old blend of 18 spices is great on seafood...and everything else.  (Being from the Pacific Northwest and not the Atlantic Northeast, I've never seen it on every dining room table between the salt and pepper shakers as their website claims.  Note to self:  Must make trip to the Northeast.)  So, I am dying to try it on:
  • all seafood, all shellfish
  • french fries & fried chicken
  • hamburgers & sandwiches
  • popcorn
  • pizza
  • hors d'oeuvres
  • dips & cheese platters
  • baked potatoes
  • mashed potatoes
  • steamed veggies
  • macaroni
  • meats & poultry
  • deviled eggs, scrabbled eggs
  • egg, tuna or chicken salad
  • casseroles
  • stir-frys
  • soups, stews and gumbo
  • Bloody Marys  (I think I'll skip this one as I've never been a fan)
DISCLAIMER: Because I have never owned a tin of Old Bay Seasoning, this may be different than the actual stuff.  As you can see, this recipe has only 9 ingredients and not the 18 that Old Bay® says is in theirs...but, it sure was nice not to have to run to the store and was definitely really good in those Zucchini Cakes!

DIY Old Bay® Seasoning

  • 1 T ground bay leaves
  • 2 t celery seed
  • 2 t ground black pepper
  • 1-1/2 t dry mustard
  • 1 t sweet or smoked paprika (I used smoked paprika because that's all I had at the time)
  • 1 t sea salt
  • 1/2 t ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 t ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Using a coffee/spice grinder, grind your bay leaves so they are completely powdery.  Do this with the celery seeds and crushed red pepper flakes as well.  Then place all the seasoning ingredients into the grinder and give it a couple of good pulses so all the spices are mixed together well.

Just a friendly note for those of you who grind your own coffee: You'll want to have one grinder for your coffee and one for your spices so you coffee doesn't end up tasting like your spices.  Of course, not that I know this from personal experience...
Have you ever used Old Bay® Seasoning before?  If so, what's your favorite way to use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment