Do you eat lentils? I've never been a big fan. I think part of it is when I think of lentils, I think of curry, cumin, and other spices that dominate Middle Eastern cuisine. Like I said, not a a big fan...
Recently, I ran across this recipe and what I saw were ingredients I normally liked. Hmmmm. Could I possibly like lentils?
Well, I made it for lunch and it was really good. Not only that, it was really filling. This is dish is perfect for a meatless dinner (or lunch) or would be a great side dish, too.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 C dry lentils
- 2 C chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Saute vegetables 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, allowing them to toast for 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock. Simmer 15-20 minutes until most of the stock is absorbed.
- Pour lentils into greased 9x9 pan or two gratin dishes. Top with cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.