Friday, January 27, 2012

Lentil Gratin

Lentil-Gratin.jpgDo you eat lentils?  I've never been a big fan.  I think part of it is when I think of lentils, I think of curry, cumin, and other spices that dominate Middle Eastern cuisine.  Like I said, not a a big fan... 

Recently, I ran across this recipe and what I saw were ingredients I normally liked.  Hmmmm.  Could I possibly like lentils?


Well, I made it for lunch and it was really good.  Not only that, it was really filling.  This is dish is perfect for a meatless dinner (or lunch) or would be a great side dish, too. 


Lentil Gratin
(Serves 2-3)
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 C dry lentils
  • 2 C chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
  1. Saute vegetables 5-7 minutes.
  2. Stir in lentils, allowing them to toast for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add stock.  Simmer 15-20 minutes until most of the stock is absorbed.
  4. Pour lentils into greased 9x9 pan or two gratin dishes.  Top with cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
So, what do you think about lentils?

No comments:

Post a Comment