I confess. I used to buy au gratin potatoes in a box. You too? Well, if I can learn to get away from the garbage in a box, you can too. And they are so much better on every level. You gotta try these. Yes, I don't make them very often, but they are special enough to be served at holiday dinners or other such occassions, yet they are easy enough for Sunday dinner.
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
- 4 russett potatoes, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 onion, sliced into rings and sauteed
- 3 T flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 C milk
- 1-1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Layer half the potatoes in the dish. Top with sauteed onions. Top with remaining potatoes. Season with salt & pepper.
- Cheese sauce: In sauce pan, melt butter. Add flour and whisk together until flour mixture becomes bubbly. Add salt and milk. Wisk together and cook until sauce has thickened. While stiring, add cheese and continue stiring until melted.
- Pour sauce over potatoes. Cover.
- Bake at 400° for 60 minutes. Remove cover/foil and continue baking for addtional 30 minutes.