Prior to purchasing our first beef this way, it was RARE for me to purchase a beef roast in the store. I had tried making beef roast a couple times before. It had either turned out too rare and was stilling mooing in the pan, or it was dry and flavorless. I had never been pleased with the results. At all. So, when we got our beef and had all these roasts, I knew I had to figure out a way to make it, and make it easy and GOOD.
Below is a compilation of various ideas that I got from my research. It is such an easy way to make a great roast beef! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. And remember, the leftovers are great in Vegetable Beef & Barley Soup, as shredded beef for tacos, etc. and so much more.
And the best part: This recipe starts with a FROZEN roast! Gotta love that!
- Frozen Roast, any cut
- 1 onion
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse frozen roast.
- Place skillet large enough to brown your roast on medium heat.
- Add 2-3 T olive oil, coating to cover bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle salt over entire roast. Place roast in skillet and cover. Brown on each side 5-10 minutes.
- Slice onion into 4 large, round slices. Place 2 of those slices in the bottom of your crock pot.
- Add browned roast. Top roast with remaining 2 slices of onion.
- Deglaze skillet with about 2 C water. Pour broth into crock pot.
- Add enough water so your roast is 2/3 to 3/4 of the way in broth/water.
- Cook on high for 8-10 hours.