Thursday, January 5, 2012

What are You Giving Up for Lent?

Some people like to give something up for Lent.  You know... you might hear someone say they are giving up chocolate, or coffee, or some other thing they really enjoy during Lent (the six weeks before Easter).    I think its really a great idea.  Afterall, Christ gave up His Heavenly Home to live here on earth and experienced being human.  So, it sounds like a good thing to give up something, too.  Right?

In the past, I used to try to give up something for Lent.  I'm ashamed to say that I did it more so because I wanted others to see how good I was.  I'd heard others giving something up for Lent and I wanted to be as virtuous as they were.  So, I jumped on the band wagon, too.  It's not that giving up something was a bad idea...not at all.  But I was doing it for the wrong reason...

Do everything with your heart in the right place.

You might be asking why I'm writing about this subject on a homemaking blog.  Well, I believe that our faith is an important part of our homes.  What we believe, whether it is related to our faith, how we feel about money, eating habits, etc. all affects our families. 

As we prepare for Easter, I always try to remember that Jesus was perfect and paid the ultimate price for the sins of the entire world.  He had no hidden agenda, no motive that He only reveals once you've been indoctrinated, and you don't have to vote on the Bill in order to see what's in it...  It's out there in black and white, written in the Bible.  And don't let anyone tell you that you need to be a "good person" to earn your way to heaven...because it just ain't so.

8For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9not a result of works, so that no one may boast.  Ephesians 2:8-9

So, if you do decide to give something up for Lent I pray that your quiet act of gratitude is a blessing for you and your family.

Live in Victory!  Lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment