Friday, January 6, 2012

Downsizing: Could You Live in a 320 Sq. Ft. Home?

Originally publised 6-1-11.

I think as Americans, we have tend to have too much stuff.  Our family is in the process of eliminating unneccessary items, reducing clutter and donating things that could be useful to others.  We've come a long way, but we still have quite a ways to go.  One thing I have noticed, though, is that in the process of removing physical clutter, I am amazed at how it reduces my mental clutter as well!

In addition, the amount of financial resources to run that household is minimal in comparison to what most of us pay for mortgage/rent.  That frees up money (or the need to make it) and allows them to focus on the truly important things.  I remember when we chose to become a one-car family what a commotion that caused!  Yet that decision has been truly a blessing, not only financially, but also emotionally as the need to "run" to everything and the stress that can cause is now a mute point.

After watching this video, although I really admire what this couple is doing, I'm not so sure I could do the same with my family of four.  Maybe an additional 300 sq. ft.?  I don't know.

Could you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment